The prostate gland is one of the most important organs in the human body, playing a vital role in male sexual health. For a gland so small in size, it can cause big troubles in men who are into their middle age, the most common of which is prostate enlargement. Are you aware that nearly 30% of all men in the United States above the age of 50 face some degree of prostate enlargement? So here are some facts every man should be aware of regarding the prostate gland and its enlargement.
Facts about the Prostate Gland
- The prostate gland is a walnut-shaped gland situated below the bladder. The urethra runs through the prostate gland. It produces seminal fluid that nourishes and protects the sperm.
- This gland undergoes two distinct phases of growth. The first phase occurs when boys reach adolescence when the prostate almost doubles in size. The second phase occurs when men reach middle age, when the prostate may undergo significant growth, leading to a condition called prostate enlargement.
- When the prostate enlarges, it compresses the bladder and squeezes the urethra. This leads to obstruction of urine flowing through the urethra. The compressed bladder triggers an urgent need to urinate, but urine doesn’t flow normally because the urethra has been squeezed by the prostate. Thus, frequent urination accompanied by a feeble and hesitant urine stream is a classic sign of an enlarged prostate.
- Age and heredity are said to be the leading risk factors for prostate enlargement, with obesity ranking third.
- Prostate enlargement cannot be avoided, but diet can make a huge difference in maintaining a healthy prostate. Fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, olive oil, and garlic are powerful foods that build a stronger immune system and help your body fight disease. Try to stay away from alcohol, red meat, and processed and junk food.
- Exercise is equally important. It prevents obesity and helps you maintain a healthy weight, which is crucial for a healthy prostate.
Knowing what happens when the prostate enlarges and the symptoms associated with it will help you in the long run, especially if you're at risk for prostate enlargement. If you're suffering from it or are at risk, you can read up about Super BetaProstate supplement reviews. This nutritional supplement contains Beta Sitosterol, a plant ester that binds to the prostate gland and inhibits inflammation. Don’t get conned by Super Beta Prostate scam reviews though – this product contains clinically proven ingredients and is being used by hundreds of men with effective results.
If you're over 50, visit your doctor for an annual prostate exam. Arm yourself with these facts so you are better equipped to answer the doctor and ask him questions, and work with him towards choosing the most appropriate methods to manage an enlarged prostate.